This was a Gwen and Marcy collaborative project.
- I cut the coat, then sent the pieces to Gwen Spencer, (who loves this coat as much as I do).
- Gwen sewed the body of the garment, then mailed it back to me.
- Knowing that buttonholes give me fits, Gwen made machine buttonholes, then hand stitched over them to add a note of finesse. I am thrilled with this, Gwen’s hand stitching is an inspiration!
- As I am a recent convert to two piece sleeves, I adapted the pattern one piece sleeve to a two piece sleeve, using these instructions from Threads.
- Why a two piece sleeve? Because it is shaped like a human body and is more comfortable to wear.
- I added a facing to the sleeve hem, sewed the sleeve and set it in the coat.
- Finally, I stitched the pleats on the collar. I’ve made several versions of this coat and each time the pleats are a bit different. The pattern calls for a buttonhole tucked in between the pleats, but this time is not necessary.